Thursday, February 23, 2012

Juls? Juls?! You there??


Yup, that's about it now....Juls is off doing her thing and she rarely thinks of her poor little mother ; )
Luckily, I'm thrilled that she's off and running and acting like the typical college kid.  We connect every day either by talking or text.  Her cell service is really bad at the house so many times we'll catch up just while she's walking home at night.  She had a tiny bout of home sickness last week after our return from Utah.  She had a little tear and Jyana's shoulder to cry on and all was well.....still not wanting to come home for the weekend so how homesick can she be?  One day last week when I knew I'd be at the school helping Brandon in ceramics I mentioned to her that maybe I'd see her.  Her reply (which she said twice) was "I can't promise anything"!



Last weekend we had Julianna come home on Saturday because we had some guests coming into town that wanted to see her.  This picture is Juls enjoying "real food" her words exactly.  I'm glad she misses it, it's a good sign.  It turns out that most of her meals are bought on campus.  She is making pretty good choices and staying really fit with all of her visits to the fitness center and constant running around.

Our guests that spent Sunday night here were Deb Evans and her daughter Eliza from the Ashland area.  Deb is the reason that Julianna is at Edgewood College today.  When we knew we were moving here my friend Ann Marie mentioned that Deb (an acquaintance of ours) had been researching colleges that have programs for students with intellectual disabilities. Ann Marie thought she'd mentioned one in Madison and sure enough she had.  Long story short, Juls is here and attending school. Eliza had an interview this past Monday for next fall at Edgewood.  We enjoyed getting to know them and wish Eliza all the best in her college search, Juls would sure love to see Eliza in the Cutting Edge program with her.


Julianna has been enjoying her classes still and on Wednesdays her Engaged Citizen class goes to a local "old folks home" to visit.  Last week she was teaching and playing Skip bo (spite and malice to us old timers), which is no easy job.  She's been mentioning this one guy "OJ" that has wonderful collections that he's very proud to show off.  She's loving going there to visit and I'm sure is really good company for them.

I have been having fun at "my" ceramics class with Brandon.  He is doing very well and loves producing the art pieces.  He told me on Monday he would like to be a "Mexican artist" : )   He also mentioned that his art is for display purposes, for everyone to enjoy.  I love his attitude!  I have become quite envious of the students in the class making all these beautiful things and frustrated now that I am not "producing" art.  I may be having to take the dang class myself next semester!

4 comments:

  1. I feel like that too..."Juls...are you there??? Are you there Juls???" She is also forgetting about her bestest friend :'( Just kidding, we both are just too busy to coordinate schedules. Maybe I can catch her on skype sometime soon. I'm so happy she is having a great time. I miss her greatly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we may miss her but it's wonderful that she is so active and engaged in life!! I wish you were here to see it and her. You know, Edgewood has a great Masters program for sp. ed. hint hint....

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that Julianna is so happy at college! Sounds like a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for her! This Wisconsin move just seems like it was meant to be and is providing awesome experiences for Juls. You are right~ and Neal and I are simply exhausted telling you, to find your artistic outlet. It will feed your soul and bring you joy. You go girl! Maybe Juls is teaching her mom now as well! haha! Yea Juls!

    ReplyDelete