Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fried cheese curds? Don't mind if I do!

Saturday, week one is almost complete.  I sit in Starbucks killing time while Julianna is working her first shift at Old Navy here is Madison.  Soon we'll have the "Badger Bus" set to get her to and from work and I won't have to drive her in.  Julianna doesn't have classes on Friday so yesterday I picked her up and brought her home for the weekend.  As happy as Juls was at school and living on her own this past week she was very, very happy to get home.  Her own bed, mom and Neals good cooking, hugs and kisses...all the comforts.
Most of you know how hard Julianna has worked to get and keep her weight down and stay in really good shape.  She goes to the gym 6 days a week, works with a trainer a couple times a month, watches very carefully what she eats, etc.  The success may have some to do with the fact that I have been driving this fitness train for the last couple of years. As you can imagine, Juls going off to school and making all of her own decisions regarding food and exercise have left me feeling a little nervous.  I would hate to see her with the "freshman 15"!  The director of the program knows that fitness is an important part of Julianna's life and has worked times into her sched. for her to go to the school fitness center.  This is great and has been working out well.  Julianna has food to make her own meals with if she chooses not to eat the cafe food.  Well, one day Julianna reported her lovely dinner with one of her classmates; a grilled chicken sandwich with a side of fried cheese curds.  Juls is really good at steering clear of french fries so this was a good choice....right?  I laughed so hard and told her it was a good thing she tried them and hopefully enjoyed them but next time the french fries would be the better choice!  Nothing like fried cheese, a Wisconsin staple.
The classes this week started slowly, that's good.  Juls had fun meeting all kinds of new kids. She likes her teachers very much.  When I asked about what happened in the classes she was "not really sure", one of her favorite answers.  In her independent living class they planned a super bowl party, this she did remember......good girl, it's the important things that count!  I, for one, think it is very important to learn how to throw a good party in order to get on well in life!
Next week I will attend a monthly parent meeting.  Hopefully I will be able to get involved with the Cutting Edge program in some volunteer capacity.  I am already on the housing board and have met a few parents.  On Friday we will go to dinner with everyone from the program including parents while the students are attending the Winter Frost Ball.  Pictures on that to be posted for sure!
All in all, this week has been amazing for all of us.  I survived, a good thing, and Julianna thrived!  And, cheese curds and all, at the gym yesterday afternoon Julianna weighed in 2 lbs down!!  Take that freshman 15!!

3 comments:

  1. As I munch on goat cheese and crackers with my morning coffee, I'm thinking "what's wrong with fried cheese, anyway?". LOL!

    The main message that comes through loud and clear is that Juliana is lucky to have such a wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete